Proper care of the tooth veneers is very important for its long life, shine and aesthetics. People who have opted for porcelain veneers, have to certain points in mind to keep the veneers going for long time. These include maintaining good oral hygiene and avoiding certain beverages which stain these porcelain and composite veneers which leads to their wearing off and also giving very bad look to the teeth. These are discussed as under
Optimum plaque removal is very necessary for increasing the longevity of the tooth veneer. Proper tooth brushing and flossing on daily basis are recommended for maintaining good oral hygiene. Poor oral hygiene has following consequences
1. Accumulation of plaque around the veneer may lead to decay of the part of the tooth not covered by the veneer.
2. Plaque accumulation may cause inflammation of gums surrounding the teeth which may cause the gums to recede and exposure of grayish cement used to bond the veneer to the tooth.
3. If patient is having bruxism i.e. habit of clenching and grinding the teeth especially while sleeping, it may lead to chipping of the tooth veneer due to heavy forces applied on tooth veneer due to clenching of teeth. Patient should avoid clenching of teeth in the daytime and during night he should wear a night guard as recommended by the dentist.
Mouth Guard for Bruxism Patient
4. To minimize staining of tooth veneer, good oral hygiene should be practiced as well as excessive consumption of tea, coffee; soft drinks and tobacco products should be avoided.
5. Porcelain veneers are brittle, so they cannot withstand heavy forces. Avoid biting on hard items with a porcelain veneer because it may lead to chipping of the tooth veneer.
6. If you are a sportsperson, wear a mouth guard when engaged in any sports activity because heavy impact forces may lead to chipping of the tooth veneer.
Many are many times compared with dental crowns. No doubt porcelain dental crowns are more advantageous and long lasting but the porcelain veneers also have certain definite advantages. In certain conditions, the porcelain veneers are more preferred by the dentist for the patient as cosmetic dentistry measure. The advantage of porcelain veneers are as under:
Porcelain veneers have certain inherent disadvantages also. A person going for porcelain veneers must be aware of these disadvantages to as to make his decision and also to educate and prepare himself to cope up with these. The main disadvantages are as under:
Cosmetic Dental Veneers
If good oral hygiene is practiced and proper care for veneer is done, a veneer may last up to approximately 10 years or more.
The estimated cost of a single tooth veneer may range from $600- $1200. If all the six front teeth are to be covered by veneers, the cost would become 6 times. It may vary from dentist to dentist.
Though porcelain veneers and porcelain dental crowns are overlapping and sometimes both can be done on a patient needing cosmetic dentistry. The understanding of the difference between the two allows the patient to make his choice between the two. However what is best is always told by the cosmetic dentist attending the patient. Following are the major points which differentiate the porcelain veneers from porcelain dental crowns.
Dental Crown Dental Veneers
If your tooth veneer comes off then take it out from mouth and evaluate whether it has come off as a whole or a part of it is fractured. Do not throw it even if a part of it is broken. Store it by wrapping it in a cotton roll. Inform your dentist as soon as possible to get an appointment fixed. If tooth veneer has come off as a whole then it can recemented but if a part of it is broken a veneer has to be fabricated.
You should have realistic expectations as although porcelain veneer is very much similar to the natural tooth but it is not a perfect replacement of the natural tooth. Some people may feel a difficulty in speech initially, especially in pronouncing "s" and "f" sounds. This can be corrected through minor adjustments which dentist can make to your veneers. There may be present slight variation in the color of veneers when observed very closely but it is seen with natural teeth also and is not very noticeable.
Free Dental Consultation