Hello, I am hoping that you can tell me what may be happening. One week ago I underwent open heart srgery, and was intubated. They took the tube out later that evening. Ever since the surgery I have been having tooth pain. It is not always the same teeth, it moves around. The pain happens when I eat hot, cold or room temperature foods. There is also pain when I try to drink water. I asked the Heart Surgeon and he had no reason. He also advised me to hold off on going to a dentist. I am only 36 years old and this is the second surgery. It didnt happen last time.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - January - 2012, at 01:27 AM

• Radiating pain in tooth after heart surgery can be there because of referred pain. Trauma, heart disease, chest pain etc can lead to radiating pain in the tooth and jaw. Pain can also be there because of some infected carious tooth present in the jaw or in case of gum infections present in relation to teeth. Tooth wear can also lead to sensitivity to hot and cold food stuffs. Dental procedures are relatively contraindicated for 3-6 months after open heart surgery so your dentist must have refused visit to the dentist. Dental procedures after heart surgery can lead to infection in the blood stream and can lead to complications. If it is referred pain, then pain will regress in some time. It would be better to follow the instructions of heart surgeon. For more info on dental treatment and heart disease, refer to…..   http://www.identalhub.com/article_dental-treatment-and-heart-disease-140.aspx

Free Dental Consultation