DOES THUMB SUCKING FOR ADULTHOOD AGE CAUSE LOOSE TOOTH ? AND IF HAPPENED HOW CAN BE SAVED? IS THERE ANY WAY TO STOP THUMB SUCKING AT MIDDLE AGED

Leave Comment

Comments

• HLM

HLM 16 - October - 2011, at 05:36 AM

• I was warned, when a child, that my thumb sucking may cause buck teeth. But, since I loved sucking my thumb I kept the habit. Eventually my teeth moved up and forward enough to accomodate my thumb and I enjoyed the sensation. Once my teeth moved enough to stay out, over my lower lip, that lip pushed them more forward, and up. Today, I still suck my thumb and won't even consider orthodontic treatment because my mouth is perfect for a habit that I find so, so relaxing. My boyfriend thinks buck teeth are sexy, so I'm a very happy camper.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - May - 2010, at 20:27 PM

• Yes, thumbsucking can cause lose teeth as unwanted pressure is put on the teeth but it depends on the frequency and intensity of thumbsucking. Thumb sucking can be taken care of in adulthood also. For this you have to wear a fixed thumb sucking habbit breaking appliace in which cribs are there which are fixed in the upper arch and when the wearer tries to put the thumb, the thumb cannot be placed in the mouth. For more info on treatment of thumbsucking you can read the following article in our website.. www.identalhub.com/article_treatment-for-a-thumb-sucking-patient-210.aspx

Free Dental Consultation