I had a filling fall out, it was missing for about 6 months and never really bothered me. when I went back to school at university of MT, I then had insurance and my tooth began to bother me, I had xray taken and there was no abscess so a temporary filling was imp-laced. It fell out a short time after and I again waited to go back this time because of extreme pain, this time the xray showed a small abscess and was told I now need a root canal. I had my apt on APR 1 and root canal is on APR 14. I"m on Omoxacillin since the 1st and pain has not resided, IS the root canal necessary if the antibiotics begin to work, and pain subsides, or can i simply get a permanent filling in placed? I am also on a medication called suboxon, because of a back injury I got in Marine Corps which led to an addiction to pain meds, So I am unable to take anything but motrin and Tylenol for the pain. What would the best course of action be in the instance?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - April - 2010, at 19:52 PM

• if there was pain in the tooth and the X-ray shows a small abcess then you have to go for the root canal treatment even if the antibiotics are workng and the pain subsides. The abcess in the tooth has to be drained out by root canal treatment and if you go for permanent filling with out gettng the root canal treatment then again you wll have pain and may be swelling. In that case also you have to get the filling removed and get the root canal treatment. So it is advised that you go for root canal treatment if you really want to save the tooth. If you want to know in detail about the root canal treatment you can visit the following link on our website....... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-root-canal-therapy-17.aspx

Free Dental Consultation