I had a tooth extracted on Thursday. I had some discomfort which was takin away by the few pain meds provided by the dentist. On Sunday I had severe pain with a fever. I went to a local ER and they diagnosed it as an absessed and gave me a few more pain meds and an antibiotic. My jaw hurts to touch on the right side ( it was a bottom molar) and my neck is very tender as well. I saw my dentist on Tuesday and he did a ten second look at the site and said it was healing good and sent me out the door. Im in so much pain im in tears. What could this be ?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 21 - September - 2011, at 02:04 AM

• Pain can be because of some secondary infection after tooth extraction or can be because of dry socket after tooth extraction or can be because of infection in relation to some other tooth. Dry socket occurs 2-3 days after tooth extraction and there is severe throbbing pain in case of dry socket. There is also foul odor from mouth present in case of dry socket. For the treatment of dry socket, dressing is given to the patient for pain relief. Only antibiotics and pain meds will not be beneficial in case of dry socket. Pain can also be because of secondary infection in the tooth or can be because of some other infected tooth in the jaw. There might be tooth abscess present in relation to some other tooth which is causing pain and tenderness. You have to refer to your dentist for this. After clinical examination, he will determine the cause of pain. It is difficult to give exact diagnosis without clinical examination. You have to refer to your dentist for this. For the time being, you can continue with the warm saline rinses for pain relief. Take the meds as prescribed by your dentist. Fore more info on tooth extraction after care, you can refer to the following article…  http://www.identalhub.com/article_do%27s-and-don%27ts-after-tooth-extraction-153.aspx

Free Dental Consultation