When I brush my tongue, it is a nice pink color. Anytime I eat something the back 2/3 gets light coating, but the front 1/3 about the size of a dime never stains or coats. I can eat or drink anything but that part, about the size of a dime will not stain. The only way I notice this is because the back 2/3 always coats. Is it abnormal for the front 1/3 to not coat or stain at all, even after drinking red Kool-aid? I don't have any pain or discomfort or any other symptoms, lumps, discoloration, etc.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 03 - September - 2011, at 00:06 AM

• Yes it is normal for the front portion of the tongue not to stain whereas the back portion gets stained. The front portion of the tongue usually gets self cleaned by rubbing with the hard palate, while eating or while speaking whereas the back portion of the tongue comes in contact with the soft palate and doesn’t get cleaned properly.  There are papillae present on the tongue. The number of papillae is more on the back portion of the tongue as compared to the tip of the tongue which causes staining and food impaction. That is why the front portion of the tongue is not stained and the back portion of the tongue is stained. When the back portion of the tongue is not cleaned, it leads to bad smell from the mouth so it’s important that you clean the front and back portion of the tongue to avoid bad breath.  For more info on prevention and remedies for bad breath, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_prevention-and-remedies-of-bad-breath-18.aspx

Free Dental Consultation