Hello. I had a root canal done with a crown placed 10 years ago. Everything was fine, until a month ago. I started having a dull pain on pressure, when I chew, even soft food. Also, the pain radiated to my ear and mandibular. I thought I should not have any pain, since the nerve is not there anymore, but probably I have an infection and infection causes this pain. Are there any options in my case to safe the hurting tooth besides pulling it out. If yes, what can be done? Thank you very much for your consultation.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 23 - September - 2012, at 22:20 PM

• Hi SAH,You may require few days to adjust with the permanent dental crown.Initially high point may be felt by the patient and it may take few days to chew properly with a permanent dental crown.You can also take pain killer medicaments for some pain relief.You should visit the dentist so that any problem around the crown can be detected at an early stage and corrected easily as if the problem aggravates,it may require crown replacement. To increase the life of your dental crown,you should maintain good oral hygiene.

• Sah

Sah 23 - September - 2012, at 21:59 PM

• I had a root canal almost a month ago, crown more than 2 weeks ago, and now I feel something weird on the said tooth for 2 days now. I dont feel pain when I chew on it but when I try to put pressure (push and pull), I feel a little bit of pain. I also feel a little bit pain (intemittent during these 2 days) especially at night time though pain is tolerable ( like 2 out of 10)..is this still common to newly treated tooth or should I be alarmed already and inform my dentist/endo? Need you opinion as I have incurred $2000 already. Please help. Thank you!

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - July - 2012, at 00:15 AM

• Amanda sometimes re infection occurs in an old RCT treated tooth .In that case you can go for re treatment depending on the condition of the tooth.You should visit ur near by dentist and get a thorough clinical checkup done along with Xray. If retreatment is possible then the old filling is removed and new filling can be done .While if this is not possible then extraction can be done but in this case dental consultation by dentist is must. For more info on re-root canal treatment, you can browse the following link in our website... www.identalhub.com/article_root-canal-re-treatment-304.aspx

• Amanda Fessler

Amanda Fessler 04 - July - 2012, at 15:38 PM

• I had a root canal and crown procedure approximately 12 years ago. Yesterday, the tooth started hurting slightly. Today, the pain is awful. I am on oxycontin and dilaudud already for a rare autoimmune disease with chronic pain. Even with the pain meds, my tooth pain is terrible. And I have a high pain tolerance. Please, if you can, let me know what you think may be the cause? Thank you.

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 18 - June - 2012, at 02:23 AM

• MARY REINEKE, What i think is that if you experience pain even after RCT then it is a clear cut chance of infection or nerve still active. So, you should get an X-ray done to get the exact diagnosis before starting of with any treatment. Now since you already got the re-RCT done so wait for week or two and even if the pain persists then get an appointment for endodontist.

Free Dental Consultation