If you were to chew tobacco with menthol, would it do more damage to your gums then chewing tobacco that has no menthol? I chew and I chew grizzly wintergreen. I also chew grizzly straight. Whenever I chew grizzly green it burns my lips but grizzly straight does not burn at all. So would chewing tobacco with menthol damage your gums more than chewing tobacco without menthol?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 02 - January - 2012, at 23:29 PM

• Smokeless tobacco affects the oral tissues by causing various dental problems like recession of gums, tooth decay, oral lesions, leukoplakia etc. Smokeless tobacco can also lead to lichen planus infection and can affect the softy tissues of mouth. A hypothesis has been made that menthol containing chewing tobacco is more harmful than chewing tobacco without menthol but it has no scientific basis. All types of chewing tobacco cause health risks. Menthol has low toxicity level and menthol poisoning is possible if consumed in large quantities. Wintergreen in excess amounts causes nausea, confusion, headache, diarrhea, stomach pain and also affects the soft tissues. Grizzly wintergreen and grizzly straight are both harmful to health so it is better to quit tobacco. For more info on effect of smokeless tobacco on oral tissues, refer to…..    http://www.identalhub.com/article_effects-of-smokeless-tobacco-on-oral-tissues-327.aspx

Free Dental Consultation