My teeth are straight and relatively healthy, but one of my upper lateral incisors is a bit shorter than the other, causing a slight asymmetry in my smile. I've considered getting this corrected with the use of composites (bonding) to build up the tooth until it is the same size as the one on the other side. Can this be a legitimate option even though there is nothing wrong with the tooth? Would the tooth have to be filed down/damaged beforehand so the composite material can bond? How long would the bonding last since it will be on the biting edge? (the actual edge would still be slightly higher than that of my front teeth) I'd love to get this problem fixed, as it weighs on my mind substantially and is the first thing I notice when I see pictures of myself. But I'd rather just live with it as-is than have to permanently damage the tooth just to make it bigger. Thanks in advance for the help!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 16 - March - 2011, at 09:56 AM

• Composite bonding can be used to lengthen the tooth and to bring it into alignment but with that you have to take certain precautions like not to bite anything hard with that tooth. If the tooth is fractionally short then composite bonding is good option and it stays there but if the tooth is considerably short then chances of failure of composite bonding are more. With composite bonding there is not much damage done to tooth. Composite bonds to the tooth by chemicomechanical bonding and the tooth has to be etched to increase the bonding area. So retention of the composite is not by cutting the tooth. If big portion of tooth has to be built then veneer is better and permanent option. For more info on composite bonding you can read this article in our website.... www.identalhub.com/article_procedures-for-smile-makeover-147.aspx

Free Dental Consultation