i need to know how much fluoride i need per day for my teeth 1330 lb male 39 years old

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - August - 2011, at 02:47 AM

• Fluoride is known to decrease the incidence of caries, reduce the gum diseases and sensitivity in both the children and adults. Daily intake of fluoride on an average is 1.7 to 3.3 mg. Out of the total, dry food intake is 0.2 to 1.8mg and intake from water is 1.5mg. Normally water has 0.7-1.2ppm of fluoride in it and the content of fluoride changes with temperature. Fluoride is also present in tooth pastes and mouthwashes. Fluoride supplement tablets are also available. Fish is a rich source of fluoride.  If the fluoride level is optimum in water, then there is no need for supplement tablets. Topical fluoride application is done in case of patients with high caries risk, those with incipient caries and in children with newly erupting teeth. Fluoride in excess quantity is also harmful as it can lead to fluorosis and can cause discoloration and damage to the enamel of the tooth. For more info on functions of fluoride in dentistry, you can refer to the following article… http://www.identalhub.com/article_function-of-flourides-in-dentistry-414.aspx

Free Dental Consultation