I had an Xray and I was saddened to discover that I have an extra tooth on my upper gum just about the right front tooth. It has been two days now that I've suffered from pain and I couldn't think of something I've done to trigger it. My whole face is swelling. A dentist told me that I need surgery. What kind of surgery do I have to go through? What will happen if the tooth is not extracted? Please help!!! Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 28 - August - 2013, at 20:39 PM

• The extra tooth which you have in gums near front teeth is called mesiodents, which is a supernumary tooth. These teeth have to be extracted as they extra and not usefull and they can affect the normal teeth. The surgery is basically for extracting the tooth. sometimes if the tooth is not visible then it has to be exposed by raising the flap and then it has to be pulled out. It is not a major surgery but depends on the position of mesiodents. For more info on supernumeray teeth you can read this article in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/dental-causes-and-treatment-of-supernumerary-teeth-740.aspx

Free Dental Consultation