i asked this question yesterday but the answer didnt follow the question so i will ask it again. I have an amalgam filling and a little piece of tooth has cracked off, does this make the amalgam more dangerous to my health (eg mercury)than a normal amalgam filling....I have heard many negative things about these fillings so I juat wanted to know if I am in more danger with a bit of tooth broken than before it broke. thank you

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - August - 2012, at 23:55 PM

• There is no need to worry about the exposed amalgam filling as mercury (which is only dangerous thing in amalgam filling) is only released while placing it in the cavity. A broken amalgam filling is a stable one and wont pose any health hazard. The only matter of concern is that without any tooth support, the filling can get dislodged, and might enter the wind pipe. If it enter the stomach then don't worry it will come out of the other end without any harm. So, it is advised to get your tooth build by visiting a dental office or get a crown over it. Hope now we are hit the target and your query is resolved.

Free Dental Consultation