I just had a crown done on the upper right near the front. When he took the temp off to fit the permanent, some of the buildup broke away. Since there was previously a large cavity in the tooth, there was not alot of tooth to work with anyway, so inserting a supporting pin would require doing a root canal. The dentist felt that the planned crown would be relatively well supported so he decided it would be better to go ahead and cement the crown in place to give it a try rationalising that if it broke we would have to do the root canal and post anyway, but if it stayed in place it would avoid the cost and inconvenience of doing the root canal. He said that if this happened he would only charge me for the root canal and not the replacement crown. He put the odds at around 70% of the crown holding. Was this the right decision? I am now nervous that the crown will not hold. Should I go back to him right away and insist he does the root canal, supporting pin and new crown, or go with his plan of trying the current solution first.

Leave Comment

Comments

  • Dr.Ritz

    Dr.Ritz 16 - June - 2015, at 09:23 AM

  • It is difficult to say without seeing how much tooth structure is left and what is the extent of cavity. If your dentist has taken the decision not to do root canal treatment and give the crown then he must be having some basis for that. Ideally the tooth without root canal treatment is vital and it better. When we do root canal treatment, the tooth becomes non vital and brittle and its chances of breakage are more. Anyway if the crown comes out, you can always go for root canal treatment and post and core with crown. So discuss with your dentist and if not satisfied then you can opt for second opinion. for more info on post and core you can check this link......  http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-post-and-core-74.aspx

Free Dental Consultation