I am a 22 year old woman who has gum recession in teeth numbers 7 through 9, most pronounced in number 7. Several years ago I was diagnosed with gum disease localized in the back of my mouth, but have adjusted my oral hygiene accordingly and, according to my periodontist, am stable. I first started noticing the recession in December of last year. In January in this year, I had an appointment with my periodontist for a cleaning and to check on my gums. I did not point out the recession because it was minor and I figured that if there was anything to be concerned about, my periodontist of all people would be able to notice and tell me. At this appointment, the recession was not noticed or mentioned, and I was told that my oral hygiene was excellent and the condition of my gums stable. Two months later, I noticed that my gums had receded a little bit more. I visited a dentist, who checked out my teeth, even taking x-rays. She said my bone levels were narrow and she found no gum disease in the area in question. Earlier this week, a month and a half after the last appointment, I was seen again by my periodontist for a cleaning and check-up. By this point, the gum over tooth number seven had receded even further, which I pointed out to my perio. He checked out the gum over that specific tooth (without taking or looking at any x-rays) and said that there was bone loss and that he recommended a bone graft. He then proceeded to check out and clean the rest of my mouth as usual, concluding that my gums are still stable and my oral hygiene still excellent. I asked him why my front gum was receding, and he said it was "anatomical" and would not expound further. I asked him twice whether the recession was due to gum disease, and both times he flat out said no. I am concerned for several reasons. I do not know exactly what he means when he says "anatomical reasons" - if I don't understand what is happening, how can I stop it from getting worse? I know I have gum recession over teeth 8 and 9, not just 7, so why weren't those teeth acknowledged? Shouldn't I be getting a graft over those teeth as well to stop the recession? And further, according to all of the research I have done, there are a number of reasons for gum recession, but when it comes to gum bone loss, the only one I have seen is gum disease, which two dentists have told me I do not have in the area in question. For reference, I occasionally have burning or pulling sensations between teeth 8 and 9 and pulling sensations above tooth 7 (not usually at the same time). These sensations are usually accompanied by discomfort in my nostrils and behind my nose. I use an electric toothbrush twice daily, massage my gums with a soft-bristled brush dipped in mouthwash once daily, floss twice daily, use a waterflosser once daily, and swish with mouthwash twice daily. I also start my dental routine with a pre-rinse. Any thoughts?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - May - 2015, at 20:23 PM

• Its difficult to comment on your condition without clinical examinations and seeing xrays. However if it is not gum disease as your periodontist told you then the bone loss can be due to traumatic occlusion i.e. the lower teeth are hitting the upper teeth in occlusion. When this traumatic occlusion is there then bone loss and gum recession is seen in anterior teeth and with advancing age it becomes more pronounced. You can discuss with your Periodontist who along with bone grafting in the anterior teeth can take care of this traumatic occlusion also, if it is there. For more info on gum problems you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-gum-diseases-9.aspx

Free Dental Consultation