My 22 month old son appears to have a tight upper lip frenulum. From what I can see the frenulum is attached very low on his gums - basically coming from behind his front teeth and making a gap in between his front upper teeth. We just recently noticed this issue - he has always been under weight and is now hoeing signs of speech delay. Do you think having a frenectomy would help him gain weight and get back on track with his speech? I tried getting a good look at it but he acts like it's uncomfortable or even hurts to move his upper lip enough to get a look. We are in the process of moving and in the new town there is a dentist office that will see kids as young as him. Besides possibly making him afraid of the dentist is there any down side to the procedure? Will they numb him first? Thank you for your time! -De

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - April - 2014, at 20:18 PM

• Normally if the frenum in upper lip is high, it does not cause any problem in speech or in taking food. It is lower lingual frenum attached to tongue which causes the speech problem. But if you think that upper frenum is very high and it is making it difficult to move the upper lip then you can show it to dentist. This upper frenum which is called labial frenum can cause gaps between front teeth but normally we wait for the upper permanent teetht to come before doing the frenectomy. You can schedule an appointment and discuss with your dentist. for more info on frenectomy you can check this link in our website....  http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-frenectomy-40.aspx

Free Dental Consultation