Hello Doctor, I have a couple of questions I'm hoping you could answer: Are there ever circumstances where it's desirable to take bite wings more frequently than once a year? I ask because I have a lot of older fillings, and all of my recent dental issues stem from the fillings leaking - (I am assuming the decay has a head start in this situation, so there is less time to catch it before needing root canal treatment). Also, could you tell me how long a filling typically lasts before it starts leaking? Are there different durations for resin and silver filling? Thank you for your time, it is appreciated.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 14 - July - 2017, at 22:16 PM

• Ideally once a year bite-wing X-Rays is sufficient but if you have older fillings which have chances of leakage then you can get X-ray done in your six monthly visit. There is no hard and fast rule for the filling to last. It depends upon the technique, type of cavity and the amount of tooth loss. A  cavity which is surrounded by healthy tooth and is not very deep has longer life then the cavity which involves a tooth surface. In resin filling we have to cut less tooth structure than for silver filling and the bonding of resin filling is better with the tooth. You can discuss your problem with the dentist and if the fillings are quiet old and needs replacement then it is better you get them replaced. For more information on restorative material you can visit the following link on our website......

http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-fillings-19.aspx

Free Dental Consultation