I was wondering how long my son should wear his plastic retainer. Should he continue to wear it every day. He is not able to go to his orthodontist and I am embarrassed to ask them this question my self. He has worn them for over 2 years now. The last thing he was told is to get his wisdom teeth pulled, but he is a college student and we don't have the money for that or really the time to take off for that.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 09 - September - 2013, at 20:53 PM

• If your son is advised to get the wisdom teeth extracted then it is better to get them extracted because eruption of wisdom teeth can put pressure on the front teeth and can cause the relapse. If he is not able to get them pulled out now then he should keep wearing the retainers. Normally, for how long the retainers should be worn varies from case to case, In some case 6 months to one year is sufficient but in some it has to be worn lifelong and for that fixed retainers are advisable. In your son's case we donot know what was history so it is better you ask your orthodontist. for more info on retainers after braces you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-retainers-after-braces-54.aspx

Free Dental Consultation