Hi! I'm not really a mouthwash person I used to use mouthwash maybe once a week or rarely. But after a recent dental visit due to toothache I started to be conscious of my teeth. My dentist told me that I almost lost one of my front teeth because of a cavity that affected the pulp or nerves. That scared me so since then I decided to use mouthwash daily and almost twice a day, flossed, and brushed longer. After 2 weeks my teeth became sensitive. Of course with hot and cold stuff. But one tooth becomes sensitive with just a touch of a lukewarm water. I could not even swish it longer with water now, always in pain when swishing after brushing. During that visit the dentist assured me that I don't have any cavities left or nothing to worry at all but why is this happening now maybe she missed something? I don't know. I don't really have time now to make another visit. I thought that the mouthwash may have caused it because I used it a lot and used a product that is really strong and contains alcohol. Can a mouthwash makes enamel and dentin thinner that may have caused a sensitive tooth? Hope someone could help!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - September - 2016, at 22:07 PM

• Mouthwash cannot make the teeth sensitive by wearing off the enamel and dentin. You have not mentioned that in the last dental visit you got the Full mouth X-ray's done for diagnosis or not. Clinically when the dentist examine he can miss the decayed teeth as some cavities caused by the dental decay are not visible to the naked eye. They are called hidden cavities. May be you have that and because of that you are having sensitivity. For this you have to visit the dentist to find out the exact cause as without X-ray's or clinical examination it is not possible to comment on this. For more info on hypersensitivity you can visit the following link on the website...

http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-hypersenstivity-60.aspx

Free Dental Consultation