I was hoping you could help me with a decision I need to make. I would like to become a dental assistant. I currently live in the state of Ohio and am planning a future move to the state of Washington. Due to my situation and the area I live in going to college is not an option for me. I have been taking an online coarse for dental assisting through Penn Foster. I am concerned it will be difficult for me to land a job without hands on experience. I am considering going to D.A.T.S., which is a vocational type school offered at a local dentist office. It is a nine week hands on program, and after passing the coarse i will have a certificate of completion as well as my radiography license. The program is nearly three thousand dollars. My question for you is will this be worth the money? They have several schools across the country and seem to be reputible. I am just wondering if a program like this would actually help me get a job in dental assisting or higher starting pay, or is it a waste of money? I would appreciate insight from someone in the dental community. Thank you

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 04 - January - 2012, at 02:27 AM

• Without any hands on experience, you will not be able to fetch a good job as a dental assistant and joining a vocational school will be a good option. You will be able to learn through on-the job training. Dentists or other dental assistants will teach you the dental terminology and instruments names and how to communicate with the patients. They will teach you things which are necessary for smooth running of dental office. If the school is reputable and certificate of completion will be provided and you will also get radiography license, then you can join the program. It will add some value.   You can talk to other students who have joined this vocational school before joining and scope of doing the course.   

Free Dental Consultation