Hi, I had a root canal and a crown on my lower right molar years ago. Sometimes, I do clench my jaw while sleeping (normally when I'm stressed). There have been occasions that I end up with lower jaw and tooth sensitivity, due to my clenching. I admit sometimes it is so awful I can not chew, speak, or spit out mouthwash do to the intensity of the pain (which is what I have been dealing with for the last few days). Normally these episodes only last 3-5 day... but I am going on the 5th day, and I am getting worse, instead of better. I have been taking Advil, using anbesol, & I started taking antibiotics 2 days ago(500 mg ciprofloxacin 2 x a day) incase it is actually an infection/ abscess of some kind. Unfortunately I am away, and can't get to a dentist for the next few days to have it checked out. Is there anything I can do to help relieve this & recover quicker? I appreciate any suggestions - J

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - May - 2014, at 10:04 AM

• It may be due to root canal and as you have already started with antibiotics, continue with them as it takes 3 days for the antibiotics to start showing its effect. Till then avoid eating from that side and take soft diet and maintain good oral hygiene. For clenching of teeth you should use night guard as it is very harmful for the teeth. for more info on bruxism you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-teeth-grinding-bruxism-5.aspx

Free Dental Consultation