I had my 2nd molar on my lower right side extracted under local anesthesia on March 1st (18 days ago). The tooth had a prior root canal by a lousy dentist who covered it with some sort of white cement-like substance and never told me I had to return for a crown. Before I had gotten the tooth extracted I was is unbelievable pain, and was told by a new dentist that the tooth was badly fractured under the gum line. I was numb for the extraction but it was (by the dentist's own admission as well as my own) a difficult removal. At the time the area where the tooth was only felt pressure but lower in my jaw and by my ear hurt immediately. The doctor said I would be fine with over-the-counter pain medicines in a few days. Instead the pain increased dramatically and I was still bleeding so on the 5th I returned to the dentist. He said I had a dry socket and was an infection. He put in the cloth with the medicine and gave me an anti-biotic and a stronger pain medicine. For the next few days I ran a fever, still experienced bleeding, was so sick I had to call off of work, and was still in terrible pain. On the 10th I returned to the dentist for the 3rd time and he said I should be feeling better. I had by now finished the anti-biotics on Friday (the 9th). The night of the 10th and all day the 11th my fever returned and on Sunday the 11th the dentist called me in another anti-biotic. It lowered my fever but that wass about it. Now it is 18days later and the spot is still bleeding. It isn't continuous but it is random. I will just taste it in my mouth and when I check the spot is filled with blood. I sometimes need to use several pieces of gauze to get it controlled until the next time. The area is still incredibly painful, especially in the gum area between the teeth and the cheek on the right side. And I mean like incredibly painful to the touch and as a constant. My dentist tells me I should be fine but I really feel like something is wrong for it to be bleeding so often and so much and hurting this way after this long. I am allergic to penicillan and azythromycn so the dentist prescribed be cipro both times. Some research and reviews I've done in the past couple weeks on the drug say that it's terrible and infections can return after the prescription is finished. What do you think? And what should I do? Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you so much in advance.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - March - 2012, at 00:14 AM

• The extraction socket should be healed by now and there should not be any bleeding.If it is still bleeding that means the extraction socket is infected and that is why there is bleeding. Go to your dentist and get the proper diagnosis made and ge tthe treatment. It is difficult to comment with out the clinical examination. Formore info on complications after tooth extraction you can visit the following link....http://www.identalhub.com/dental-complications-after-tooth-extraction-881.aspx

Free Dental Consultation