Every once in a while, I get this sharp, charley-horse type of cramp under my tongue where all the muscles get really tight and it hurts really bad. It lasts about 10 seconds as long as I don't move or talk. If I try to talk or move, it can last up to 1 minute.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 30 - July - 2012, at 02:11 AM

• Dear JOANN, It all seems the problem of a crown as you mentioned that last time while fitting the crown your nerve was accidently damaged. As suggested to you in our previous reply you should go to an ENT surgeon and get an Xray done of the case. Also you can consult a dentist who did your treatment.

• Joann

Joann 28 - July - 2012, at 05:22 AM

• I have been On amoxicillin and keflex .. The only thing that calmed my thrroat and tongue spasm which I feel is secondary to nerve irritation was lorazepam ... 3 years. Ago I had a crown placed in same part of my mouth and the dentist hit my nerve and I had 3 weeks of facial problems also .. Seems to be similar .. I did go back to oral surgeon 3 times and when I last called he said to see facial ..FYI I don't take meds on a routine basis

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - July - 2012, at 22:25 PM

• Dear JOANN, It seems that your infection has spread into tongue and throat. You case required a critical clinical evaluation. It is suggestive to visit an ENT surgeon and seek his/her advise and don't take any medications (even OTC)without prescription as it can worsen your situation

• Joann

Joann 27 - July - 2012, at 16:54 PM

• I had a molar remover 3 weeks ago then had a dry socket, multiple canker sores, bone shards removed ..now suffering from tongue swelling and spasms both under tongue and from rear of tongue all the way down throat.. Taken ibuprofen vicodin muscle relaxers..oral surgeon says can't help..any suggestions

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - July - 2012, at 22:52 PM

• I would recommend you to visit  a dentist ASAP. Tongue is the strongest muscle of the body responsible for speech and taste sensation. So, any small abnormality shouldn't be taken lightly and is to be immediately reported. Since tongue consisits of papillae so sometimes enlarged papillae can bring the stiffness in the tongue. They can swell and cause a lump formation.

Other reason can be night grinding (bruxism) or it can be due to trauma or infection in tooth.

To know more about the abnormalities in the tongue visit the link.....http://www.identalhub.com/article_abnormalities-of-tongue-238.aspx

Free Dental Consultation