I had a filling done 24 hours ago on the upper left side. I was numb after the procedure for over 9 hours. Now that the numbness is gone, my lip still droops. When I talk or try to smile the left side of my lip sags. Is this something that will go away, or will it always stay like this now. Thanks for your help.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 15 - September - 2012, at 00:33 AM

• I cannot be totally sure, but often after a long acting local anesthesia, like you had, the nerves can become a little slow in their reactions for a while.  This slowness occasionally shows up as a weakness in the muscles.  With the injection you had, most likely the long acting local still is having some effects on the nerve.   When the area is numb and stretching is done, the amount of stretching is not controlled by the nerve. If you were to overstretch the tissue when there was no local anesthetic, you would only do it until it is uncomfortable.  If you were numb, there would be no nerve telling you to stop pulling.  So the combination of the local anesthetica and the pulling has probably contributed to the change in appearance.  Just leave the area alone and it should return to its normal appearance within a few days.Don't worry.I'm sure everything will be fine soon.

Free Dental Consultation