I am 59 years old and never ever had a cavity. I don't have pain, but I do routinely see my dentist for teeth cleaning. During my last visit an x-ray showed a small darkened spot inside a tooth. The spot is not visible otherwise and there is no pain or deterioration. My dentist wants to fill the tooth, but I think he is too "trigger happy" sometimes about procedures. Should a tooth be filled due to an x-ray showing a small darkened spot only? Thanks, RS

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 02 - December - 2016, at 23:19 PM

• if there is darkened area showing on the X-ray and your dentist is sure that it is cavity then you should get it filled. If you are apprehensive then you can ask your dentist to take another X-ray from different angulation to confirm the diagnosis.in the early lesions most of the time there is no symptom. when the cavity becomes quiet deep only then the symptoms are there. so discuss with your dentist and if required go for the restoration to avoid further decay. For more info on restorations you can visit the following link on our website....

http://www.identalhub.com/article_when-is-composite-filling-done-in-a-tooth-283.aspx

Free Dental Consultation