During my consultation with the oral surgeon he advised removing two lower jaw teeth and an embedded lower wisdom tooth. He also noticed that I had slight gum recession on one of my lower front teeth. He explained that the string of soft tissue (frenum) was pulling down on my gum. He said he would clip this for me at no charge. The evening after my surgery I noticed that a lingual frenectomy (under tongue) had beed done instead of a labial frenectomy (inside lower lip). Q: Will a lingual frenectomy do anything to prevent further gum recession which is occurring only in the front side of my lower front tooth? Also, what advice might you have for this situation? Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 22 - August - 2013, at 20:02 PM

• If your lower gum is receding from the labial side and that too in the lower front two teeth then lingual frenectomy is not going to help you. In that case you have to go for labial frenectomy. Normally lingual frenectomy is done when there is tongue tie and there is difficulty in speaking and that is normally done at the age of around 2 years. In your case the definate treatment cannot be recommended without clinical examinaltion but if the gums are receding and there is no other cause like gum infection then you have to go for labial frenectomy. for more info on frenectomy you can check this link.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_types-and-techniques-of-frenectomy-84.aspx

Free Dental Consultation