I had X-rays done and it had been a couple of years since the last time. I had tooth decay in my younger years but no cavities for years. I have had the same dentist for about 20 years and am very comfortable and satisfied with his work. After the X-rays I got a call and said I need work done on 9 teeth for decay. This was surprising to me I have cleanings 3 times a year and checks. There are no visible cavities. When consulted they had a graphic of where they needed work and stated most was near the base of gums between teeth where it would be hard to detect. I never saw an x Ray showing the decay have no visible decay and no bad breath from decay. Is this normal to have dental work like this without any symptoms and should I ask to see x rays

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 27 - August - 2016, at 22:54 PM

• yes itdoes happen. these are called hidden cavities . they are not visible as they are in the areas which can not be seen during cleaning or normal checkups and in initial stages there are no symptoms. so it is a possibility that you need the restorations. But if you have any doubts you can discuss with your dentist or take the second opinion. for more info you can visit the following link

http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-caries-7.aspx

Free Dental Consultation