I had root canals done on my 2 upper incisors years ago, front tooth & the one next to it. Neither teeth were ever crowned. Have had no problems in all these years. I went in for a cleaning about a month ago, & the new, very young dentist, noticed a recession of the gum on my canine tooth & a hole in the filling on the incisor next to it. The one that had been root calaled. He offered to fill in the canine with filling material to cover the exposed root, & fix the filling on the incisor, so I let him. 2 days ago I started having pain in the incisor which became so severe yesterday, that I had to go back to see him. Now he's telling me not only the incisor that he refilled in infected, but the front incisor next to it is also infected & the both need to be pulled! He gave me amoxicillin to clear the infection & norco for the excruciating pain, but I'm wondering why now, after all these years of no problems with those teeth, they got infected? Could it be from him doing the work I previously mentioned? I very upset about having my front teeth extracted. Please help..

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 18 - May - 2017, at 22:40 PM

• Normally after doing the root canal treatment the tooth should be crowned so that there is no leakage and the chances of reinfection are not there. As you never get them crowned and there was a gap in the filling so the chances are there that there is a infection in the tooth. It is not possible to have the infection in such a short time. Just get the canine also examined as that was not root canal treated and you got the filling done which if deep can cause the excruciating pain. If the front teeth are infected then you can go for reroot anal treatment instead of extracting it. This will save your teeth. But you have to discuss with your dentist as the prognosis depends upon the case selection. For more info on reroot canal treatment you can visit the following link on our website....

http://www.identalhub.com/article_root-canal-re-treatment-304.aspx

Free Dental Consultation