I had my teeth cleaned/polished almost 2 weeks ago. During the polishing, I started feeling pain in a tooth that has a filling. She said that there was a stain on that tooth and the polisher may have gotten hot while she had it on that tooth. After that, that one tooth was super sensitive to hot, cold, sweets. I went back to the dentist that next day and they told me to use toothpaste for sensitive teeth, and gave me some stuff to rub on it. After a week, it still hurt. They gave me some fluoride varnish to put on it and had me to take 6 days worth of prednisone. It has now been 13 days since my cleaning. That tooth is not as sensitive as it was, but there is still sensitivity. What is wrong? And will it go back to normal?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 19 - May - 2014, at 19:51 PM

• If sensitivity has started decreasing then wait for another week as it takes around 2-3 weeks for tooth to heal or settle down. If the pain does not go after that then go for the xray and find out the exact cause and may be you  have to go for root canal treatment in that tooth which is filled or refilling of that tooth will serve the purpose. It has to be decided after seeing the xray and clinical exam. Till then keep using desensitizing toothpaste, maintain good oral hygiene. for more info on hyper sensitivity, you can check this link in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-dental-hypersenstivity-60.aspx

Free Dental Consultation