I recently went to dentist because my 5 year old crown fell out. They did x-rays and saw that I have an infection. So they referred me to an endodontist to perform a root canal. 2 different doctors attempted to perform the root canal but was unsuccessful. Both of them said that they could not remove the post build up material from my canals from a root canal that was done 5 years ago, so they said that I have to have the tooth extracted. Should I go to another dental office for another opinion or is this typical for an endodontist to have a difficult time removing this material to proceed with root canal treatment. I really want to save this tooth. Can you please help me? Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 26 - January - 2012, at 08:16 AM

• Sometimes it is difficult to remove the post material from previously performed Root Canal treated tooth. But if you are very keen in saving your tooth then you can go for Apicocetomy in which surgery is done to raise the flap and then infection is removed from apex instead of the coronal part. But for its success case selection is important and that can be decided after clinical and radiographic examination. You can discuss this option with your endodontist and can save the tooth if this procedure is possible otherwise you have to for extraction of tooth if Endodontist is not able to remove the post material. For more info on Apicocetomy you can read this article in our website.... http://www.identalhub.com/article_what-is-apicectomy-92.aspx

Free Dental Consultation