Is it appropriate to replace missing tooth #6 with a Pontic if the 2 teeth right next to it (behind it) are dental implants? Tooth 6 need extration due to damage caused by a dentist many yesrs ago. My dentist rec pontic attached to the 2 implants behond #6, but I am wary as I feel like that canine tooth will just be hanging there as it will not be attached to a tooth on either side, but two teeth from the same side... I have seen this method used before for a molar, but not for a canine... I need to know if this is ok before I consent to extraction.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 05 - September - 2013, at 20:14 PM

• If the canine is advised for extraction and for replacing it you have two options. These are either go for as your dentist says ie cantilever bridge or you can go for implant in canine also. The normal dental bridge in which we use two abutments one in front and one in back, cannot be given in your case as implant can not be used as abutment with natural tooth abutment. So this cantilever bridge is good and successful if proper support it there. You can think about this also. for more info on dental bridges you can check this link.... http://www.identalhub.com/articlecategory-crowns-bridges-22.aspx

Free Dental Consultation