Hi I have a tooth infection for a week now i'm on augmentin 1g for 4 days now but the tooth is still swollen and i still have pain its also the wisdom tooth at the back. If the infection is not clear what is the next step?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 24 - November - 2017, at 23:51 PM

• As you have mention that you have infection in the tooth for the past 1 week and is having Augmentin 1 gm for four days, in my opinion the dosage of Augmentin is not sufficient. Ideally we give 625 mg Augmentin twice a day for five days but if infection is acute then it can be given even thrice a day. But you have not mentioned your age and without detailed history and clinical examination it is difficult to give you the treatment plan and the medicine. If your tooth is badly infected and cannot be saved then it is advisable to get it pulled out under the antibiotic coverage. You better visit your dentist and discuss your problem with him. If the dentist feels that the infected tooth can be saved then he will go for root canal treatment or drain the abscess which is causing swelling and pain. Till then maintain good oral hygiene. Do warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day. For more information on abscessed tooth you can visit the following link on our website.http://www.identalhub.com/blog/204/understanding-abscessed-tooth

Free Dental Consultation