My insurance changed and I changed dentists. My new dentist says I need my teeth aligned as my cross bite is causing receding gums. The dentist became trained in orthodontia in the last year. It will stop the gums from further receding. Is the the only way? Is it the best way? I am 69 and have never been told I need realignment before. (Invisalign...?) My wisdom teeth have never caused problems. Will alignment adversely affect that? Thank you.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 25 - November - 2017, at 23:13 PM

• At the age of 69 if you want to go for realignment then you have to see the condition of your teeth and the supporting structure. Normally at this age the bone resorption is there and the gums also become weak. If your dentist feels that your teeth and the supporting structure are strong enough then you can go for the realignment. It is a fact the cross bite causes gum recession, but at this age if the gums are already receded and they are not strong enough to bear the pressure of orthodontic forces then you should not get it done. You can discuss this issue with your dentist.  Without clinical examination and detail history it is difficult to give our opinion in your case. You can take second opinion for your problem. For more information on braces treatment you can visit the following link on our website.    http://www.identalhub.com/blog/831/braces-for-adults-over-50-years-no-longer-a-myth       

Free Dental Consultation