Hi i had an extraction on a tooth 7 days ago and seemed to be healing well but now gum is really swollen and painful and has a white spot on it. My gums seem to be getting bigger and bigger. I am really worried because it really hurts.

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 29 - November - 2017, at 01:15 AM

• You have not mentioned whether the swelling in the gum is in relation to the extraction site or it is some where else. If it is in relation to extraction site then may be the extraction socket is infected. The formation of white spot with swelling shows that there is infection. If the extraction socket has healed well as you mention then some adjacent tooth must be infected. Without clinical examination and history it is difficult to give our opinion. It is better you go to dentist. He will do the clinical examination and take an x-ray to find out the cause of infection. If some part of the tooth is left then that has to be removed. Sometimes the extracted tooth has a cyst or granulation tissue which is left in the socket, causing infection after wards. In that case the dentist will curettage the socket, that will take care of the infection. But if it is because of the adjacent tooth then that has to be treated. Till you visit your dentists start doing warm saline rinses 2 to 3 times a day and maintain very good oral hygiene. For more information on complication after tooth extraction you can visit the following link on our website.    http://www.identalhub.com/blog/881/complications-after-tooth-extraction      

Free Dental Consultation