I had a tooth extracted about 3 weeks ago and now I have developed a lump under my tongue on the side the tooth was extracted on...it just started being very painful...what would it be ?

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 01 - December - 2017, at 01:23 AM

• There is no reason for the lump to develop under the extraction socket after 3  weeks of extraction. in three weeks, extraction socket heals fully. If you don't have pain in the extraction socket then it is not infected. Infected extraction socket can be one reason of the lump under the socket.The other reason is that, may be you had an apthous ulcer under the tongue. this is also known as canker sore. These are very painful and the reason for having ulcer is not specific. It can be because of stress or the nutritional deficiency. The apthous ulcers are self limiting and don't need any treatment. They take around 7 to 10 days to heal. Another reason can be that some other adjacent tooth is infected. Without clinical examination and detailed history it is difficult to give any diagnosis. For this you have to go to the dentist who will do the clinical examination and find out the cause of lump under the tongue. The treatment depends upon the diagnosis. Till then maintain very good oral hygiene .http://www.identalhub.com/blog/234/canker-sore

Free Dental Consultation