Hi. My tooth broke just under the gumline. About half of my tooth (back top molar) is left. Is root canal possible? Thanks!

Leave Comment

Comments

• Dr.Ritz

Dr.Ritz 13 - December - 2017, at 22:39 PM

• In your case without clinical examination and x-ray it is not possible to give the treatment plan. If the tooth structure is enough and the roots are fine then the Root Canal can be done, even if one side is below the gum line.  In such cases if the dentist feels that the prognosis of the root canal treatment is good and roots can be saved then after doing the root canal treatment post and core is done. Post and core builds the lost tooth structure. After giving the post and building the core ,the crown is given and the tooth will just do fine but this is possible only if the dentist feels that the root canal treatment will be successful. In your case, from your description it looks like that half of the tooth is gone but other half that is back top is left. So in my opinion Root canal treatment with post and core followed by crown should be good. If it is not possible then you have to go for the extraction of the tooth followed by implant. For more information on root canal treatment and post and core you can visit the following link on our website.     

http://www.identalhub.com/blog/294/when-is-root-canal-treatment-required 

Free Dental Consultation